MS in Pharmacology Experiences: Helping the Blind Community, "Be My Eyes."

 For the month of October, I decided to do some research into new venues of volunteer work. I recently found an application that can be downloaded on an iPhone, as well as tablets and computers. The app is called "Be My Eyes- see the world together." The way the app works is that a volunteer with clear vision capabilities is matched with a visionally impaired person, in order to help them with simple tasks. Once the volunteer is signed up, a video call may come through and the volunteer is allowed to accept or decline. After accepting the video call, the volunteer can then see the blind's point of view (they move their phone to what they want you to view), and can further help them with tasks such as what color a shirt is, or how to guide them through a new space, and so on. 


I received my first video chat request shortly after signing up, I immediately answered, eager to see what my first experience would be like. Suddenly, I was connected to a nice man named Casper. He was so kind, the first thing he asked for assistance with was sorting out his mail. I read aloud what the first envelope was, we both laughed as it was simply bills. Casper then asked me to describe what the second piece of mail was, as it was a nursing magazine that was focused on clinical trials. He explained to me that is a therapist who lives in Michigan, and that it was beyond freezing. We had a nice conversation to follow about New Orleans and his experiences on Bourbon Street many years ago. He was very intrigued when I told him a little about myself and this pharmacology program. We ended up talking about the healthcare system and how it is indeed rapidly changing. We ended the phone call on a very optimistic note, Casper stated he would do anything for hot gumbo in Michigan. After we ended the call, I reflected on how genuine Casper was, and how my simple guidance made his entire day easier. I felt more fulfilled hearing about his life experiences as a therapist, and how he has overcome so many obstacles. This encounter may have not been the longest, but it's the little things like helping someone identify their mail, and then making a human connection thereafter which made an impact.


A few days later, I received a second call. Upon answering, I was then connected to a woman named Martha. Martha needed assistance in reading the cooking directions on the back of a new cake mix box she had just bought. I read allowed the directions, ingredients, and timing for baking. She talked about how she likes to bake on Sundays, and how Covid-19 has not taken that away from her. It was adorable to see her mixing pots and pans that she had set up. I could almost smell the cake after reading the box so many times. I wanted to make sure she did not miss one step or one ingredient, but am confident Martha baked an excellent cake that day. She was beyond appreciative for help, as I was reminded how enormously privileged I am to navigate life as a sighted person.


My third and forth experiences were much shorter but equally as pleasant and fulfilling. One of which, I helped a woman read the expiration date on a bottle of Advil, which I thought was super ironic. The bottle was not even close to expired, so I definitely felt a piece of mind after that encounter. The second experience was with a gentleman who needed assistance on where to place a new side table he had just bought for his living room area. I guided him to move it towards the side of the couch, and even suggest to put a lamp on top of it to complete the living room. He was very thankful, and I was astonished at how a simple moving on a table in his space of living was accomplished by simple "guiding" him slowly through his living room area. 


Edwin was the most recent person of whom I had the pleasure helping. He was full of laughs as soon as I answered the call. Edwin asked for my help in setting up the Wi-Fi on his laptop. This was a tad difficult to navigate through, as he had to hold his phone up for me to see the networks, select one, connect, and configure. We got through it together honestly, he guided me as I guided him. He explained to me that his vision became increasingly worse after diabetes, as he had diabetic retinopathy which damaged his retina. He told me he still gets an eye exam once a year, but has accepted his condition and it does not seem to stop him from living his life. I thoroughly enjoyed this interaction solely because of Edwin's approach. He was not grouchy, he did not complain, and he was patient. Once the Wi-Fi connection was established, we both smiled and gave each other a virtual high five. This was a win-win experience for the both of us, as I was surprised I could help with technology successfully, and he ended up helping me! 


Most of the people I assisted needed help with basic, everyday tasks that normal people with vision may take for granted. This app is very humbling, and I feel it is one I will never delete off my phone because I have not had one bad experience yet. I wish more visually-impaired folks signed up for the app, as there is a uneven ratio of volunteers to the blind. There is no life advice needed for this encounter, it is simply a swift way to help clarify things. Another interesting caveat is that this app has the option to pick different languages if you are fluent enough to help in that language. I want to commend the creators of the app, as the CEO, Chong Chan Yau is blind himself. It truly is the age of technological advancements, and this use of it is 100% beneficial to all who use it. The "Be My Eyes" community is very active and helpful, as they send out weekly newsletters to keep a tight-knit feeling for all who are involved. I have learned from these experiences that technology is truly amazing, sight should not be taken for granted, and if you can help make someone's day a tad bit easier--your day automatically becomes complete.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Providing Culturally Competent Services at COVID-19 Vaccine Sites

Spring Flowers