MS in Pharmacology Experiences: Writing to Angels during hard times for better times.

 Where do I begin? Right here, at Tulane University School of Medicine, pursuing my masters in pharmacology. I am exactly where I need to be right now. I didn't realize this until recently.

When I finished both degrees from my previous university, I knew medical school was my next stop. What I didn't know, is that, I am working within the universe's timing, not my own. I have always been interested in the brain and the effects of drugs on the brain. For the last 7 years I have been doing my own research within ethnopharmacology, so when it was time to face the MCAT and that world, the global pandemic, COVID, forced me to reschedule my MCAT 4 times. After this process of back to back dual science degrees, years of internship and research, this test was the icing on top. And starting and studying for this exam 4 times over a 10 month period was beyond mentally and physically draining. It turns out that 2020 has changed me more than I ever thought possible. Cancelling the MCAT, being fully emerged in this program, and switching gears to focus on myself and solely school has been a complete adjustment. I feel as if being "all gas no breaks" was not working for me before. I knew I needed to make huge changes that would carry on into good habits for years to come within my academic career.

After the first two weeks of this program, I felt like I was placed in this class for a purpose. I began re-building my friend group, meeting like-minded friends pursuing the same field of medicine for different reasons, etc. After COVID, I think a family of friends, even if virtual, makes a huge difference in someone's life when they have been in isolation. This program moves fast, and I enjoy that it is structured to be similar to a mock first year med school in some ways. I am blessed to have teachers who are extremely helpful, talented, and intelligent. I feel for the first time in my academic career, that, my school cares about me and my well-being, my progress, and my inquires about content. This program is tough but it's exactly what I need to prepare me to be the best first year medical student I can be. Just being in the atmosphere, on campus, surrounded by labs and residents in scrubs, makes me reassured that I'm exactly where I need to be. 


Switching gears, the volunteer work I chose was different than what I have done in the past. Normally I am very hands-on, love to teach (STEMNOLA) and help from young to old. But, I am a writer. I went to NOCCA for writing and often forget I have many works published. Since obtaining two hard science degrees, I have had barely any creative time to pick back up poetry or prose. I decided to write to some elderly pen-pals, and use this time to reflect on the current state of our country, spend some time with my own thoughts, and hopefully connect with another human and make them smile. I decided to write 4 letters to the Woodlands Healthcare Center in California. While I was recently in California a week ago, I actually passed up Los Gatos while I was in the San Jose area. When I saw the list of names and their interests, I KNEW I had to start writing to the sweet folks at this nursing home. My first letter was to Mahinbanoo, who is Persian just like me. She speaks Farsi and she loves flowers. This tugged on my heart, knowing that we are of the same ethnicity so far away, my hopes are that she can teach me Farsi and be a Persian figure in my life. I included a personal letter and 3 pictures, one of me and my dog, and other of me and my parents. I know Mahinbanoo will appreciate my passion for Iran, so I wanted to give her a mental image of my family and cultural background. The other 3 letters, I selected randomly from the list based on interests I did NOT have in common, because I am always up to learn something new, and contrast breeds conversation and complexity. Each letter was straight from my heart, and I honestly missed writing, and connecting with people. Life has been so technologically advanced that some people have forgotten what pen and paper are. Even if I do not hear back from any of my pen-pals, that's ok. I put my words out there and I hope they know that it was honestly more rewarding for me to write these letters than for them to read them. However, I am hopeful that perhaps one person will respond. 


So far this program is keeping me on my feet, teaching me to stay balanced, and connecting with the elders at the Woodlands was a significant part of reflection of why I am pursuing what I am pursuing. I hope these folks smile, I hope I wrote big enough, and I hope that any ripple I make becomes a positive wave in someone's day. I am thankful for my classmates, as we are the glue that holds each other together. I am thankful for this opportunity to separate academics from solely grades and material but to another level of reaching back out into the world. That's what it's all about. That's what's going to make me the best student, friend, physician, daughter, researcher, writer, human, is connecting with others. Period. And for that, I am thankful for above all else. If you know me, you know I am a social butterfly who wants to help everyone. But since I have started at Tulane, I am learning that it's all about even more sacrifices, and making the right connections with the right people for the right reasons. I am so elated to be in this class and I hope to only prosper and watch everyone alongside me do the same. It's gonna be a fun rollercoaster!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Providing Culturally Competent Services at COVID-19 Vaccine Sites

Spring Flowers

MS in Pharmacology Experiences: Helping the Blind Community, "Be My Eyes."